Skip to content

Thursday 28 July. The Show Must Go On.



We’d left the trailer ready to go first thing in the morning and headed off to our hotel down the road, which was very nice, but we hardly had time to appreciate it, since we were waiting at the breakfast room door as soon as it opened, and headed back to the trailer where we hitched up and retraced our route down the A303 again, past Yeovilton, and all the way on to RNAS Culdrose, beyond Falmouth in the far south west of Cornwall.

We’d been invited to be a static display as part of the Navy Wings team at their Air Day, and arrived there mid-afternoon in dull weather with intermittent rain. We asked for – and received – permission to rig in a nearby vacant hangar, and were all set up by 1700, when they kindly laid on a barbecue for all the arriving aircrew.

After that a bus took us to our overnight accommodation in the student’s quarters in Falmouth University; basic but perfectly acceptable. We checked out the forecast for the next day, which indicated the morning wouldn’t be up to much, but the afternoon was set to improve.


The forecast proved correct; more or less nil visibility and a lot of damp about. Buses took us back to the airfield, and we agreed with the organisers that we could move 1264 into the hangar doorway which they would open and leave barriered off. We were there with Chris, who’d flown his Boredom Fighter (an American plans-built biplane that looks like a WWI Fighter).

The poor weather meant that we were a very popular attraction and Theo and I were fully occupied all morning telling the story of 1264, snatching occasional breaks for a cup of tea or to look at the other aircraft there.

In the morning I was interviewed for the BFBS – British Forces Broadcasting Service, and around lunchtime I was ushered up to the announcer’s tent where George Bacon asked me about the 1264 and Bristol Scouts in general.

In fact, the promised clearance never occurred, and there wasn’t a single display possible. It must have been a huge disappointment to the organisers after all their hard work, and I hope the large crowds who were there all day enjoyed themselves.

As the show closed at 1800 we started putting 1264 away. By now it’s a very, very slick routine and we had her put to bed in no time, and headed off, trailer in tow, for the Falmouth University campus again, where we’d established the evening before that there was sufficient room in the car park.

We shared a pizza in the student café together with a bottle of delicious Swordfish beer provided by the Navy Wings team.


From → Shows

Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: