Skip to content

318 Shuttleworth Edwardian Day


What a great weekend!

The team congregated at Shuttleworth on Saturday lunchtime to get 1264 rigged for the Sunday show, but since we weren’t sure about hangarage space we chewed the fat before the boys popped out to watch Stu Goldspink decide whether to take the Hurricane up to East Kirkby for a display.

A spectacular thunderstorm with lots of lightening and dramatic cloud formations passed through, but Stu decided to give it a go, and we helped him fuel up and start up before bringing the trailer round and rigging 1264 in our allocated space in no. 6 hangar.

Meanwhile Sue headed off to the Swiss Gardens and in the crystal clear post-storm light of the late afternoon took some simply stunning pictures on her mobile phone.


With that done, we found our rooms in the College garden suite, and headed off to the pub for a leisurely meal.

The weather on Sunday morning matched the forecast – sunny, with a light breeze straight up the main runway.

We arrived to find 1264 already parked on the grass, and we set up the display information and the table with all the bits, including the Guinness cake Sue had made to offer with every DVD sold!

I’d gathered that the LAA magazine had been delivered, including the article by Clive Davidson. As always, all four of us were kept busy; I needed to fill the petrol tank, and check the oil, and I also found time to prime the pulsometer in the hope that it would finally tell us that the oil was being delivered to the engine.

Halfway through the morning, I was amazed and utterly delighted to see my brother Rick and his wife Marian approaching. They’d only decided to come at the very last minute, and it absolutely made my day. They helped out on the stand, and Rick was able to see the Scout being displayed – something he hadn’t seen since October 2015.

Around midday all the WWI aircraft were moved to the end of the runway before the show started at 1400.

It was opened by my old friend Pete Davies, who did amazing things with his very sophisticated autogiro, and we could then relax for an hour or so and watch the show before going across to 1264 ready for our slot just after 1700.

All the pilots of the early WWI aircraft were eyeing up the strengthening wind which was also somewhat gusty. Immediately before us, the two BE2es were scheduled to display. In the end, only one would start, and Jean-Michel Munn took off, though his engine was clearly misfiring, with a good deal of smoke coming from the exhaust, and an uneven note to it.

vlcsnap-2017-08-11-21h28m17s765.pngWe fired up while he was displaying, and I waited for a nice steady breeze after he landed before launching.

I held about 40kt in the climb out, giving – with all that additional power from the  engine – an impressive climb.

vlcsnap-2017-08-11-21h24m50s841.pngAs expected, it was pretty bumpy up there, but 1264 continues to give me more and more confidence every time I fly, and I was able to give a very satisfactory display, even managing to taxi all the way back to the hangars this time!

There were two minor disappointments; I’d forgotten to wave to the crowd on my final pass, and I’d forgotten to switch on the pulsometer, so I still don’t know if it works!

But it was a good show, the organisers were very happy with it generally and our display, and we arrived home late at night, tired and very happy, with 1264 put safely on static display in no. 1 hangar.



From → Uncategorized

Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: